Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Preschool Picasso: Apples

After seeing how many apple craft ideas I pinned on Pinterest and getting some inspiration from our first storytime theme coming up, I decided I was going to do an apple theme for both Preschool Picasso and Toddler Art. 

We read a book together, The Biggest Apple Ever by Steven Kroll, had two crafts, and had a sensory activity for this apple-themed Preschool Picasso program. I was excited to read a longer book and the group seemed really attentive and liked hearing the story about mice trying to find the biggest apple.

For our first craft, we made an apple core using a paper plate, red paint, and a stem and leaf. It allowed the group to practice painting with q-tips (for the apple seeds) and paint brushes (for the apple skin). 

For our second craft, we made taffy apples using homemade brown puffy paint, construction paper, Popsicle sticks, and sprinkles. The paint didn't turn out quite as well as I liked, but the parents and kids were great about working with it anyway. 

For an added sensory surprise, I made apple oobleck using corn starch, apple sauce, and apple pie spice. This was an absolute hit with the group and they enjoyed playing with it. I pointed out its coolness, gooeyness, and yummy smell. We all wanted apple pie!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment