Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Toddler Art: Paint Like Picasso!


This was the first Toddler Art theme I have done using an artist theme. It was a bit more challenging, but I was able to come up with ideas that were easy for toddlers and challenged them a little bit at the same time.

I read a board book, Oooh! Picasso by Mil Niepold and Jeanyves Verdu. It has pictures of some of Picasso's work and a message of imagination with art.

After reading, I explained our two crafts for the day. For our first craft, I supplied everyone with sponges and clothespins with pom poms to paint with primary colors. The little ones had fun mixing their colors and it was good practice for them. When finished, they slid their paintings into plastic covers that had a Picasso-like face on them.

For our second craft, the kids glued different eyes, ears, noses, and mouths to their faces to make a unique, Picasso-like portrait. I heard a lot of parents going over the different parts of the face to get their child to understand body parts. I was happy to hear this because I was hoping the parents would use this craft as an opportunity to explain parts of their face. They also had the option to color their pictures.


Afterwards, we had some playtime so the group could interact with each other.


Other Books:
Painting With Picasso board book by Julie Merberg and Suzanne Bober

No comments:

Post a Comment