Sunday, December 1, 2019

Book of the Month: Hair Love


I seen a short, animated YouTube video on Hair Love and loved it so I thought I would check-out the book.

Summary: A little girl's daddy steps in to help her arrange her curly, coiling, wild hair into styles that allow her to be her natural, beautiful self.

Ages: 4-8 years

 "Daddy tells me it is beautiful. That makes me proud. I love that my hair lets me be me!"

There's so much heart into this book that makes it incredibly touching and makes a great pairing with the video. 

It was interesting to find out that they didn't touch upon Zuri's mother having cancer and being in the hospital like in the video, but the message and modern feel of the video was there in the book. 

This is a worth-while book for teaching the lesson of acceptance, understanding, and love. I would introduce children to the book first and then the video to talk about the heavier topics presented in animation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment