Thursday, September 10, 2020

Virtual Program: Zoo Animal Storytime

One of my virtual programs for September was a Zoo Animal Storytime. This came together really well, was a whole lot of fun to film, and had a lot of books and ideas to chose from to put together. 

I ended up reading a total of three stories, making this a longer video but I added the two books at the end of the video so that parents could stop the video after the first story and craft demonstration. 

Typically, our videos have been anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes, with 15 minutes being the average. It's tempting to make longer videos but we do have to be conscious of little one's attention spans and screen times. 

I started off storytime by reading Lori Degman's silly book 1 Zany Zoo. It's laugh-at-loud funny and really brings out the zoo theme. Afterwards, I did a rhyming color flannelboard story using elephants and then we jumped into our next book.

Our next book was Warning: Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt. Another funny one that was a pleasure to read out loud. 

I wanted to add an animal song to this storytime and was able to add animal pictures to the background to help kids follow along with the help of my husband. 

After our song, it was time to show my virtual audience the swinging monkey craft they could try at home using construction paper and a straw. I thought the kids would enjoy playing with their craft and having their monkey swinging from the trees. 

At this point, I ended storytime for those who might not be able to sit still at the computer for another story, but did mention if they could to stay for Jory John's Giraffe Problems. I just couldn't pass up reading this one! It's one of my favorite books to read for a zoo storytime.  If you haven't read it, please do! It will not disappoint. 



No comments:

Post a Comment