Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Family Storytime: Rain

For this week's Family Storytime, we read books and did activities together that revolved all around rain. This is always a manageable theme for storytime and we had a rainy day to boot! 

After we got some wiggles out with our bean bag dance, we read Tap Tap Boom Boom by Elizabeth Bluemle. In this book, we see and hear all the things that come along with a rain storm. I liked being able to have the kids tap their laps to make the "tap, tap" noise, but I think this story could have flowed better while reading it out loud. 


Next, I used a "Mushroom in the Rain" flannel board based on the book by Mirra Ginsburg. I tend not to use too many story flannel boards and mostly counting, colors, etc. but this is a good addition to a rain storytime. Some of the kids in my group had a hard time understanding that this time I didn't have enough flannel pieces for the group to participate, but they still enjoyed the story about a mushroom who keeps all the animals dry while it rains. 

Our next picture book was Puddle Jumpers by Anne Margaret Lewis. All different animals can't resist the puddles after a rain storm. I liked the cute and kiddie illustrations that went along perfectly with this book. 



Our final activity was singing along to Rain, Rain, Go Away! retold by Steven Anderson. This was the first time I used a book and cd kit and it worked out great. At this point, my group was getting a little bit antsy and the soothing music of this song put them back at ease and singing along to this classic rain song. I prefer using an audio cd versus just singing because we have the extra background music and it seems to put everyone, including me, at ease to sing. It was fun to sway along to the music together!



I squeezed in a quick, short book at the end called Puddles!!! by Kevan Atteberry. 


The group enjoyed this one and then it was time to make our rain craft! We made a rain scene using a cupcake liner for an umbrella, a pipe cleaner for the umbrella's handle, and cotton balls for clouds. The group drew in their raindrops. 

"Rain, rain, go away...come again another day!"



No comments:

Post a Comment