Sunday, October 1, 2017

Book of the Month: I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/158176.I_m_Gonna_Like_Me?ac=1&from_search=true

I was very tempted to pick another dog book to review until I noticed we had a copy of this Jamie Lee Curtis picture book that was new to our collection. I've read Where do Balloons Go?: An Uplifting Mystery, My Mommy Hung the Moon: A Love Story, and Big Words for Little People and enjoyed them all.  I'm Gonna Like Me did not disappoint. 

Summary: Celebrate liking yourself! through alternating points-of-view, a girl's and a boy's, Jamie Lee Curtis' triumphant text and Laura Cornell's lively artwork show kids that the key to feeling good is liking yourself because you are you.

Age Range: 4-8 years
"I'm gonna like me 'cause I'm loved and I know it, and liking myself is the best way to show it." 
I love the simple rhyming and wonderful message that this book has, both perfect for a feel-good storytime that will share the message that it's good to be yourself and embrace who you are, even if you make mistakes and are different.

This book is geared to young readers, using everyday kid-like examples of being in school, with other children, being with mom, and just the daily life of being a kid. 

This would be a great discussion book on asking a storytime group what they like about themselves and practicing their self-esteem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment