Monday, November 20, 2017

Family Storytime: Thanksgiving

I always enjoy putting on a Thanksgiving storytime because of the silly turkey stories and the lesson of giving thanks to all the good things we have in life. 

After we followed along to the bean bag song, we started reading There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Turkey! by Lucille Colandro. I have fond memories of reading these books when I was younger so I enjoy reading them out loud to my groups when I can. They can be a bit long, but usually captures their attention. 


For our first activity, we added different colored turkey feathers to our flannel turkey. The group listened very well for their colors and always enjoy interacting with the flannel board. 

Next, we read Run Turkey, Run! by Diane Mayr. I like incorporating this book into storytime because every group seems to enjoy saying, "run turkey, run!" It makes for a fun time!
 

For another activity, I tried something new because I needed a movement activity to keep this energetic group focused. We did the Turkey Hokey Pokey! Boy, did we get silly with this one. Everybody was laughing when we waddled our behinds. This was easy for the group to follow with it up on the projector screen. 

And thanks to getting some antsy feelings out, we were able to read two more books together, Thanksgiving for Emily Ann by Teresa Johnston and Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markes. Both of these books allowed me to get the message of being thankful in storytime. 



For our craft, we made a construction paper turkey and used old book pages for the body. This was a very cute and simple craft!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment