Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Family Storytime: Fish

We started off the first session of summer storytime using the theme fish. My storytimes are usually smaller in the summer so I try to plan them accordingly. 

My newbies learned the bean bag rock song and then we read our three short stories and did some activities, including a Five Little Fishies flannel and a Sea Star Wish color flannel.

The three stories we read between activities were Paul Meets Bernadette by Rosy Lamb, Where is Little Fish? by Lucy Cousins, and In the Sea by Laura Ottina.




Out of all the stories, Paul Meets Bernadette was the most fun to read to the kids. I would recommend this one to slightly older kids because of the comparison of things throughout the book, but it is still short enough for storytime and I started with this one to allow for some more time to explain the story.

Where Is Little Fish? was the group's favorite because they loved the flap books and trying to find Little Fish. In the Sea was a great, short non-fiction book to incorporate into this fish storytime.

For our craft, we made a big fish eating a little fish using construction paper, pipe cleaners, and straws. The group I ended up having were on the younger side, so next time I'll use just a Popsicle stick. 

I always enjoy this theme and the group had a good time learning a lot of new things. 

Next week, we'll be having a safari storytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment