Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Family Storytime: Cats

For our cat storytime, we were able to read four books, use the flannel board twice, and sing "If You're Happy and You Know It."

There was a lot of cat books and activities to choose from, which always makes it easier. I usually bring out a few extra books and activity ideas that I custom to how the group is for that day. 

The four books that we read were Cat Knit by Jacob Grant, I Like Cats by Patricia Hubbell, They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel, and What Will Fat Cat Sit On? by Jan Thomas. 




I told a story about The Cat of Many Colors on the flannel board and made it in season by saying that the white cat wanted to be a black cat for Halloween. Of course he gets into things in the house that makes him change colors. I had a small enough group to have each child bring up their colored cat to the board.

The other activity we did that used the flannel board was Little Mouse in a House. I had a flannel mouse behind different colored houses and the group had to guess which house the mouse was in. They always like to guess! 

I decided to add another song to storytime. We did the Bean Bag Rock song with bean bags at the beginning, but I also sang "If You're Happy and You Know It" so we could all stretch a little and get our wiggles out. 

For our craft, we made standing cats out of card stock paper. I added a dotted line for them to practice their cutting and make their cat legs. I also used a die-cut "O" and cut that in half to make the tail. We used sticker eyes from Oriental Trading and I cut out cat head templates. This craft turned out so cute and every child makes their cat their own! 



I love animal storytimes and this one was no exception! 


Other Books on Cats:
Kittens! Kittens! Kittens! by Susan Meyers
Big Cat, Little Cat by Elisha Cooper
Top Cat by Lois Ehlert
Cookie's Week by Cindy Ward
There Are Cats In This Book by Viviane Schwarz
A Kitten's Year by Nancy Raines Day
Black Cat, White Cat Silvia Borando
How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats? by Jane Yolen

No comments:

Post a Comment