Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Preschool Picasso: Watercolors


This was Preschool Picasso's first time introducing watercolors to the group and I think it ended up being a fun change for the kids. We read Blue Chicken, about an artist painting a barnyard scene only to have one of it's chickens come to life and spill blue paint everywhere.

I wanted to using droppers for one craft activity and then have the group use the color pallets for another. For the first craft, I mixed blue watercolor paint with water and had the kids use eye droppers to drop paint all over their paper with chicken on it, just like in the book. The kids had fun using the droppers and everytime I've used these, they've always been well-liked.

For the second craft, they painted their own sunset for their barn. I put out the watercolor pallets and they had fun coming up with all sorts of techniques for making their sunset. Afterwards, they glued on the silhouette of a barn. I was glad this gave them an opportunity to create their art any way they liked with the watercolors.

Though there are tons of picture books using watercolors in illustrations, this one best fit what I was looking for-a short and sweet book that could easily tie-in with crafts.



No comments:

Post a Comment