Monday, July 6, 2020

Virtual Program: Playdough Party Home Edition

 For my second virtual program, I switched it up a bit from a traditional storytime and did a playdough program. The playdough parties I have been putting on in the library were having great turn-outs that I wanted to find a way to bring the same fun to them at home. 

It also was a great opportunity to incorporate some playdough ideas that I always had in the back of my mind but never felt like they quite fit with the playdough party itself. For instance, I showed the kids/parents how to make playdough at home. This is something that if I did in the library, I would have to make it a separate program all together. 

For this virtual program, I started off by showing how to make your own playdough using stuff around the house. There are plenty of homemade playdough recipes online, but my challenge to myself was to find the simplest one with the easiest ingredients. I also knew I didn't want to use any recipes using the oven since I wanted the kids to be able to make and play with it as much as possible.

Once I showed everyone watching how to make the simple playdough at home and what ingredients they would need, I showed them some playdough tools they could use to play with their homemade playdough around the house. I hoped this element of the program got the kids to think and realize that practically anything could be used to play with their playdough and make designs and shapes and art.

The last part of my playdough program video was a playdough challenge. I challenged everyone watching to use the playdough they just made to make themselves out of playdough. I thought this would be a fun idea and showed them the playdough version of myself and gave them the option of making it 3D or just styling it on a piece of paper.

I enjoyed making this video and felt like I had my own cooking show for a minute there haha! This video definitely had more prep time than a storytime, but I think it was well-received. 



No comments:

Post a Comment