Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Virtual Program: Make a Magnet Maze

 For one of my virtual programs in November, I made a video showing kids ages 5-8 and their parents how to make a magnet maze using supplies around the house.

This was a more challenging virtual program for me since I usually don't do science programs and it was a little outside of my comfort zone, but I did my best and glad I pushed myself to try something different. 

This program would be fun to put on again when patrons are able to come back to the library for programs so that will be something I'll consider when the time comes.

It did take a lot of effort to put the program together and I thought the magnet mazes turned out well. I liked how the kids can pick any theme they want when designing and decorating their maze.

I did show a few ideas for mazes, but the simplest one was using a box or cardboard, popsicle sticks, a strong magnet, a paperclip, and whatever they wanted to use to decorate. Foam stickers work particularly well. 

I started off by explaining a little bit about magnetism using a library book and then showed them some examples and gave them directions on how to start making their maze.

My examples included the simple popsicle stick maze, a gnome-themed maze, and two examples that were more-so on magnetism and decorating with a space theme and a transportation theme. 


This program has a science/STEM element to it, a creative and artsy element to it, and a game/fun element to it so it was nice to have all of these into one program.


No comments:

Post a Comment