Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Toddler Art: St. Patrick's Day

For this month's Toddler Art, I kept the holiday theme and all three crafts and sensory bin were centered around St. Patrick's Day. 

Our first craft was "Leprechaun Craft with a Fork Beard." I think this was my favorite craft and the group enjoyed it too. I liked the idea of using forks to make Leprechaun's beard and is a great craft to practice fine motor skills. We completed the craft by gluing a green top hat onto him. 

This blogger has an easy option to purchase her printable hat and face template, but I chose to make my own being from a thrifty library. It really wasn't that much of a hassle to make using clipart from Google, but it's always nice to see a template option for a craft. 

Our second craft was a "Hand-print Shamrock." I knew that most of the kids would like dipping their hands in the green paint and pressing it onto the paper to make a shamrock shape, but there are some kids who need to feel more comfortable with getting messy with paint and this was a great craft for them. I decided not to have their hand prints cut out like in the original and it worked out just as well. I also noticed that the kids who had trouble making their shamrock shape decided to make their own art and that can be just as fun and creative. 

The last craft of the day was "Rainbow Chain Craft." I used this craft for my drop-in program, but I thought it would be just as beneficial for this group seeing as the construction paper chains are always good for fine motor skills and would be easy enough for this group. 


We ended class by experimenting with our "leprechaun rocks." This was such a hit with Preschool Picasso that I had to share this activity with this group. They have fun using the spray bottle, discovering for gold coins, and watching the concoction fizz and bubble. Use 1 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of water mixed with green food coloring dried overnight. Vinegar is put in spray bottles for the kids to try the next day. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment