Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Drop-In and Get Crafty: Reading by Design

Reading by Design is our Summer Reading Club theme adopted from the Illinois Library Association and I always like to do a drop-in craft on our theme.

A design craft can pretty much be anything, but I narrowed it down to a mosaic craft. Because the drop-in is always scheduled the same day as the summer reading kick-off and because I'm happy to announce that we had our local public schools involved, I was expecting a bigger crowd. I had a great turn-out and made enough crafts available for over 50 attendees. I like how there is a two-hour time range to space everyone out and give patrons the option of coming in at a time that would be more convenient for them. 

For the craft prep, I used older construction paper of all different colors that was previously used and taking up space in our office and cut square shapes out of them. I searched the Internet for possible mosaic print-outs and found a total of six for everyone to choose from that ranged from birds to flowers and to fish, which was the most popular one. 

This was an easier craft to prep for and was happy about it too because with a bigger group, I didn't want it to be too time consuming. It also allowed me to use supplies we already had that would probably end up getting thrown out.

The kids used their imaginations to make colorful construction paper mosaics that imitated stained glass. It gave them practice with cutting and gluing while the older kids worked on the more difficult print-outs. Some of the group felt like coloring and we had that as an option too.


What a nice way to kick-off summer reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment