Thursday, April 26, 2018

April is National Poetry Month



April is National Poetry Month and since I do all of the youth writing programs at my library currently and have been hearing that our patrons want more children's writing programs, I wanted to do a poetry program.

I have always been passionate about writing and wanted to encourage young writers to write about anything their heart desires so I'm thankful I get the chance to teach and inspire future authors. 

I kept monitoring my registration stats for this program since despite hearing comments that they want more writing programs, the attendance hasn't been exactly great for them. I think this is partly because for some, school hasn't made writing fun. Also, the older age kids are harder to pull into the library for programs. Some kids want these programs during the school year and some want these programs during the summer. Unfortunately, no one attended today's program. 

I can save the lesson plan for another time, another April, but I'll be re-evaluating whether or not to have writing programs during the school year.

For our would-be poetry workshop, we were going to go over a variety of poems using examples and analyze their structure and meaning. I had prepared a short and sweet powerpoint on the poems I wanted to cover. 

Next, I had plans to read a two-voice poem with help from the group and show a few more poetry examples to focus on how poems can have all different subject matters. 

We were going to come up with our own concrete poem using a flower template shape (or other shape) and then come up with our own acrostic poem using any word we choose. 

I also was going to let them know that we currently have a poetry contest going on at the library and encourage them to enter. 

The types of poems we were going to go over were concrete, simile, metaphor, cinquain, haiku, onomatopoeia, acrostic, imagery, and two-voice. 

Some of the poetry examples to be used were "My Family" by Stacy Zeiger, "The Rollercoaster" by Kelly Roper, "A Graduation Poem for Two" by Stephanie Klose, "Sick" by Shel Silverstein, "Bed in Summer" by Robert Louis Stevenson, "There Was an Old Man with a Beard" by Edward Lear, and "A Bird, Came Down the Walk" by Emily Dickinson. 

Good news is I have a ready-made poetry lesson. 

The nice weather we have been having also played a role I'm sure, since it's pretty quiet in throughout the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment