Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Family Storytime: Butterflies

I am always surprised when I get to this theme that I'm not so wowed by the picture books on butterflies. Either the story is interesting, but too long for little ones to sit to, or they are lacking a good story to it if they are short. I do have my favorites for this theme, but I'm really looking for some new good ones to add to my list.

The books we read were Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert, Don't Worry Bear by Greg Foley, and Kitten's Big Adventure by Mie Araki. The group enjoyed counting the butterflies in Ehlert's book and liked how their was a kitten in Araki's book. 


I told the story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar using flannelboard pieces and they all helped me put the food pieces onto the board. 

We also counted some colorful butterflies on the flannel board and went over each of their colors. 

For our craft, we made butterflies out of paper plates. They all turned out very pretty, but we needed to staple some of the wings together because the paper plates wouldn't stick too well to the the construction paper. 


Let's flutter into spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment