Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Preschool Picasso: Spring

Preschool Picasso was all about celebrating spring. To celebrate spring, we read rain books and did some rain crafts. It was a plus that it happened to be a rainy day. 

We started off by discussing our rain theme a bit and then I read Mushroom in the Rain by Mirra Ginsburg. The group did a wonderful job listening and they were definitely in a storytime mood. 

I made a few program announcements and then explained our two crafts for the day. Our first craft was making our own thunderstorm scene and it was a great opportunity for the group to experiment with foil painting, blending colors (we went over how black and white makes gray) and making their own decision on how their stormy sky should look. They also practiced their cutting by making their own grass out of light green strips of paper. 

I think what makes this craft fun and unique is being able to paint on shiny foil.

The second craft gave them different textures to play with using pipe cleaners and cupcake liners. They used the clothespin/pom pom combination to dab blue pain to make their rain and the other supplies were used to make umbrellas.


A handful of kids asked if we could read another story and then more asked so I was able to read a total of four stories! I think reading the stories is the most important part of a youth library program, so I was happy to hear this request. I pulled the display books I had on rain and we read them. Rain on the Roof by Janine Scott and The Rain Came Down by David Shannon. We also read The Three Little Pigs, a book one of the kids brought from home.

I got a lot of nice comments from parents today on my reading style and craft choices. That made my day! Maybe rainy days aren't so bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment