Friday, July 20, 2018

Creative Writing Workshop: Reading Takes You Everywhere


This was a successful writing program for kids 8-12 that tied in with the Summer Reading Club's theme of Reading Takes You Everywhere. We explored settings in writing using audiobook clips of setting descriptions and then took time to start writing our own settings.

I put together a Powerpoint that introduced how to write a setting using the 6 "w" questions and setting writing tips. We sampled a variety of story settings using certain audiobook clips describing different settings and different styles each author used. I took audio of books that this age group, ages 8-12, should be familiar with. I made sure I had a variety of examples in case we ran long on time, so we didn't go through every example, but we went through most of them and had some discussion on each one.


About half way through the program, we started writing. It's typical that the group had a harder time getting started, but quickly pulled through. Everyone pretty much had some writing down and some in the group are more advanced than others, but that is to be expected with the age range. It is also to be expected that some of those in the group have a harder time focusing, but everyone was able to write a setting idea.

I was surprised to hear that some of the group hadn't read a lot of these classics, so I think it was a good opportunity for them to get introduced and interested in the stories. In the future, I think I won't just focus on the classics, but pick more books that the kids are currently reading. I had a few of them in there, such as Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Wonder, which were well received. 

The settings I used were from a variety of classic children's books for this age:
Bridge of Terabithia
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
One and Only Ivan
Holes
James and the Giant Peach
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlotte's Web
Esperanza Rising
Tuck Everlasting
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
Walk Two Moons
Bud, Not Buddy
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Wonder 

If anyone would be interested in having the Powerpoint presentation or my "teacher notes" on each slide, contact me.

Overall, I think the group enjoyed listening to the audio and learned a little bit more about writing settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment